FHannes

SCAR Development Roadmap

Hmm, all functions work...

Should be the same or similar as c++.

SCAR is written in Delphi and partially based on it, but SCAR has it's own API, I don't intend to mimic Delphi's.

I wasnt saying that any functions did or didnt work, i was saying finding references to the 'new' functions from the Scar 4.0 and figuring out which ones you changed and what all needs to be changed is going to be hell because im sure you dont have the time write a list of available functions and descriptions of all of them and what has been changed with those functions. Because as of now there isnt much 'Current' information on functions out there so i use a old scar version manual to get access to old commands that are not displayed anywhere other than there.

Freddy, I think the source of FUNCTIONS should just be released so we can put it in our way. If your just going ot make things more scripting dont delete the old, some of us like it the way it is. Just release the source functions for rs ( no dont just wiki them saying how to use em ) jus tthe whole source for them. Theres the flexability rather than changing things that makes us script more. Remember SCAR still stands for shit compared to Autorune.

I think what your trying to do is make it globally available to other games? Thats fine and all.

As for the new engine, I really dont want to have to go back to each script and change it to add another 1000 lines just to make it more global game wise.

Really, think about the "additions" before releasing man, I really dont think scar should take another "route" just to fit other game needs. Open a new place for that but let us keep our dignity of RS Hacking here with OUR SCAR made for us originally by K. and updated when he left for RS Hacking by you, just give us more options, great gui and work arounds. Functions and of the sort. Give but not take.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Or maybe have bnoth options available ? instead of deleting one method isnt it possible to do both ?

Edited by rsutton

Unfortunately I loaded this before you edited your post... In any case, I'm not going down this whole open-source crap road again, I've been there before and I have no desire to discuss it any more. Aside from the fact that very little remains of the SCAR Kaitnieks once developed, he expressed the same desire to make it less RS dependent. At first I went in the opposite direction because I let people tell me what to do, which was a very very bad thing for SCAR, hence I will no longer let people question my development decisions. I've been thinking about these "additions" for months now, they're more than well thought through and once they're released I'm sure you'll agree with them. None of the functionality in SCAR currently will be lost, some will just be implemented slightly differently. As far as the new script engine goes, the API rewrite will be more of a concern for your scripts, it'll require changes over several versions of SCAR to keep your script working, but once these changes are done, I will no longer have to revisit them, because unlike the current API which is a collections of bits and pieces that have been added over time, this will be a proper unified API that I can expand one, paving the way for a whole range of new features and techniques.

So how are we talking "the API rewrite will be more of a concern for your scripts, it'll require changes over several versions of SCAR to keep your script working, "

How much will change exactly? How long will it take us to get back up and running. I mean we are talking about shutting down the whole RS Hacking community with scar for awhiel. WOULD IT be acceptable for you to have the new engine released... ALONG with keep the old engine alive for a couple months after the release so we can use our scripts while expanding on the new engine? something of the sort so its not a big "hit" to the community.

As I said, the new engine won't be much of an issue, it will not affect your code in that many ways, it'll probably only require little changes to adapt your code to the new engine. The new API will be added over several versions, you could argue that this stretches the inconvenience for the scripter, but this allows me to break the work into manageable pieces, for both me and the scripters. The new API may take some getting used to, but with this the changes to scripts will also be fairly minimal, some functions will change names, maybe require some extra parameters, but in the end, the code you have will still be viable as long as you adapt some function calls here and there. Basically you have nothing to worry about, I'll divulge more of the development plans for SCAR 4 when my finals are over and I can actually get back to coding. There will be at least 1 or 2 more versions of 3.3x before the jump is made to 4.00. So the point is, more details will follow when they become relevant, and you can rest assured that you don't have to throw out your code. ;)

What about searching pixels from center pixel(s), moving in a spiral-shape out. This will atleast help for the RS-bots. Resulting in search from closest to current position, making it more humanlike (by finding the closest NPC,tree,ore and so on).. It might be a nice alternative to the standard "from left to right"-colorsearch.

What about searching pixels from center pixel(s), moving in a spiral-shape out. This will atleast help for the RS-bots. Resulting in search from closest to current position, making it more humanlike (by finding the closest NPC,tree,ore and so on).. It might be a nice alternative to the standard "from left to right"-colorsearch.

That has been in SCAR since long before I was even in charge of the project... http://wiki.scar-divi.com/index.php?title=FindColorSpiral

I was unsure of how findcolorspiral worked.. Tryed to find some documentation, but didn't succed. I tought it was something like that, but working from the "outside". So thank you for that clarification.

if x or y are smaller than 0, the search will start in the middle of the search area
So that's why it wasn't working like i spesified. Edited by slacky

I've made some changes to the roadmap, pushed some features from 3.31 to 3.32 in order to be able to make the deadline. The development of the new interface to the script engine has messed up the schedule quite a bit, however, it's a very important update, so I'm hoping to get 3.31 out there as soon as possible.

I've updated the roadmap, due to rl stuff I haven't been able to code a lot lately, so I didn't manage to make the deadline this time. 3.31 also has a few minor bugs that should've been fixed relatively fast with 3.31.01, but as I wasn't able to get around to that, I'll be releasing all bug fixes along with 3.32. Currently one of the bugs has been keeping me busy for quite some while and has been traced back to a bug in some 3rd party component which I'm currently replacing ahead of schedule to fix that bug. So 3.32 will mainly be a bugfix release with probably only a few new things.

I've changed the roadmap, my finals are coming up next month and because of this my spare time is very limited atm. I do intend to stick to my month release schedule, but the next 2 releases will probably not contain any major new features, but maintly bugfixes and new core functions.

Nice plans there Freddy. :) Can't wait to see those new Color & Bitmap functions that will be added to 3.36!

Just couple things that I am wondering/curious about, so I need to ask;

What are the plans with DTM & OCR API's? (DTM API really needs some FindDTMs functions and the current OCR API is a little too limited (as in width & size, the current one is developed for RS2/RSC, I think).

-Jani

Nice plans there Freddy. :) Can't wait to see those new Color & Bitmap functions that will be added to 3.36!

Just couple things that I am wondering/curious about, so I need to ask;

What are the plans with DTM & OCR API's? (DTM API really needs some FindDTMs functions and the current OCR API is a little too limited (as in width & size, the current one is developed for RS2/RSC, I think).

-Jani

They will also be redone, but I don't want to do everything at once :)

3.35.01 to 3.21 - You can use SVN to download whatever version you want, install TortoiseSVN, then right click a folder and hit "Checkout", now put in for the URL http://svn.scar-divi.com/scar/

then. Hit "Show Log", then hit "Show All". If you go and scroll down to the bottom you will see Revision 1, SCAR 3.21 initial deposit by Freddy. If you wanted that one, exit the log window, and you should be at the checkout window again. There is an option for HEAD revision (latest) or just Revision and then a text box. Hit revision and put in the text box what revision you want (1 for 3.21 alpha by Freddy that we just looked up in the log). Then hit OK to download it into that folder.

As far as I know there isn't an archive on here for 3.35-3.22 SCAR versions?

3.21 to Prior - http://freddy1990.com/index.php?page=service&name=archive&pagenum=1

I pushed another major release in before the scheduled date for 3.38. 3.38 in February will now be 3.39 and I will be releasing 3.38 with whatever I've changed by then in December to bridge the rather large time gap to 3.39. So I can't tell you what will be new in it, other than what is in the 3.38 alpha at this time because I don't know yet, there's no specific plan for this build.