FHannes

SCAR Development Roadmap

Here I'll try to lay out a bit of what you can expect to happen to SCAR Divi in the near future. This list will of course change and grow over time.

SCAR Divi 3.40.00:

• cross.png Improved tolerance system
  • cross.png Revamped includes manager
  • cross.png Added functionality for includes manager (update notifications + compiler directives)
  • cross.png Initial setup for new DTM system (partial exposure of SCAR 4 system though SCAR 3 front-end)
  • cross.png New library architecture, leveraging the new OpenAPI
  • cross.png TSCARWebClient

SCAR Divi 3.xx:

• cross.png New DTM system
  • cross.png New OCR system

Edited by Freddy

Yay! An autoupdater?

There's no plans for that at the moment, but I might implement an update downloader such as found in applications like FileZilla where you can have the application download a new installer once an update is available. I'm not sure yet whether I will implement that.

First step will be to include the functions from your entire include structure in the function list.

Would it be possible to do like the [+] things and have all the individual files and folders structured like that, maybe even SCAR's stuff in different sections

[+] Script

-[+] Functions

--Function 1

--Function 2

-[+] Types

--Type 1

--Type 2

-[+] Variables

--Var 1

--Var 2

-[+] Constants

--Index1

--Index2

[+]OSI

-[+]\Divi\

--[+]File 1

---[+] Functions

----Function 1

----Function 2

--[+] Types

----Type 1

----Type 2

---[+] Variables

----Var 1

----Var 2

---[+] Constants

----Index1

----Index2

-[+]\RS2\

--[+]File 1

---Function 1

---Function 2

[+]SMART.dll

-Function 1

-Function 2

[+]SCAR

-[+]Sorting

-[+]Color

-[+]Bitmap

-[+]DTM

-[+]Canvas

etc. kinda a lot but something like this would make scripting easier

A rather big update to the roadmap, SCAR 3.31's release data has been adjusted to fit my schedule a bit better as I can only start developing in Februari, the date might be pushed back another week, but I'm hoping to get it done. The plans for SCAR 4 have finally somewhat been finalized and you should see new prerelease versions appear, probably somewhere during or after the development of SCAR 3.31.

Keep in mind that SCAR 4 will break a lot of backwards compatibility, especially 4.01.

What do u mean break alot of backwards compatibality? like for instance what kind of functions? Also in scar 4.0 is it going to have Function grouping/Highlighting, thats one thing i miss from c+ programing was being able to click on a begin and have the end highlighted or the closing bracket of a function you get the point =)

I mean that some language features may be slightly different in the new engine, though probably not that much, the biggest breaking changes will be the api rewrite, this might happen over several versions, but the idea is to take a close look at every available function and replace them, improve them or rename them where needed. The new engine will support function overloading, so there will certaintly be a lot of functions with the same name that are currently using different names since the current engine doesn't support this. The idea is to still provide a way to use the old script engine, SCAR will then translate the new API to an equivalent that's accessible in the old engine, so it will be possible to port includes and scripts from current versions to the new api while still being able to use the same engine, this would reduce the time required to port everything. It will be advised to take a very close look at all of the current code before moving to the new engine as it will work slightly different and about 100 times faster (no jokes).

Not sure what you mean by function grouping and such, if you mean that matching rounds and such are highlighted at the same time, that will be introduced in SCAR 4, but after the api rewrite is complete, the IDE is a secondary objective as reworking both at the same time would seriously delay the releases and possibly cause a lot of bugs by focusing on too much at once. I have plans to improve several parts of the IDE though, the editor will be renewed, introducting the matching highlighting feature, code folding and more. The idea is to make everything work smoother and look more professional, making things easier on the scripters and end-users.

The new API will put a lot more power into the hands of the scripter as well, many of the things that SCAR does automatically now will have to be dealth with by the scripter, this may slightly increase the work you need to do to script, but most of these things can easily be placed in includes and reused. However, by doing this automatically currently, SCAR does take some work off of the scripter's hands, but seriously limits the flexibility of the system. An example of this is the way client windows are selected and used internally. The current API allows you to use functions for whatever client is currently selected, the new API will allow you to manage the client system yourself which means you can go as far as scanning for colors in one window while interacting with another. I'm leaving most of this up to include developers to write asystem themselves which best suites the needs of the include, that way, scripters can use those includes and won't have to be bothered with many of these details.

This sounds very exciting, and sounds like you have put alot of thought into it, by function grouping i meant the highlighting which you clarified in that passage.

As for the multiple window control that is pretty sweet sounds like that could be the solution to the smart issue, being able to close smart maybe be using a mouse command and finding the bitmap of the x button aslong as osi makes it where we have the option to control an external window or just by implementing the command into the osi or the smart include which ever.

Only thing i see about chaning the way functions work, is its going to be hell figuring out which ones work and dont work since there isnt any current documentation, i use a old scar CDE manual that has all of the old functions in it to get to find built in scar functions and use them as scar as always been backwards compatible.

As For function overloading, is it going to have the same capability of like c or c++ or is it going to be limited in that nature of how far you can push the functions?

ive noticed that alot of the delphi functions dont work with scar, but everything seems to be based around the delphi development platform, is there going to be more implimented functions and commands from delphi?