spartakos

BitmapFromString in 3.40

For those who, like me, helplessly searched the forums on how to deal with old "bitmapFromString" function in 3.40, here's what I ultimately found.

Prior to 3.40 (in 3.38 and earlier) the SCAR had an option (under Tools menu) to convert all old BitmapFromString to the new TSCARBitmap.Create automatically!

Second. In SCAR 3.40 functions like BitmapFree and BitmapAssigned are also dropped. And memory is no more auto-magically freed after stopping the program. So, if you assign the result of an TSCARBitmap.Create to an integer (old-fashioned style), the memory will be lost in 100% cases. You can't possibly free it, and it won't be freed by itself!

So, I made a simple bmp manager of my own to solve the problem and not to rewrite half of the code. (Hint: This manager needs to be improved if you want not only to create, but to release some bmps in the process.)

var bmps : integer;
   bmpstorage: array of TScarBitmap;

function CreateBmp(data: string): integer;
begin
 if bmps > length(bmpstorage) - 1 then begin
   if bmps = 0 then setlength(bmpstorage, 10);
   else setlength(bmpstorage, bmps*2);
 end;

bmpstorage[bmps] := TSCARBitmap.create(data);
 result := bmpstorage[bmps] as integer;
 inc(bmps);
End;

procedure ScriptTerminate;
var i: integer;
begin
 // launched by scar every time the script is stopped
 for i := 0 to bmps - 1 do begin
   bmpstorage[i].free;
 end;
end;

Then you can replace (Ctrl + R) all occurrences of TSCARBitmap.Create by the CreateBmp function.

Edited by georgri